Thursday, October 31, 2013

Today’s Snippet From Chapter 13 of Cosmogonic Marbles



Today’s Snippet From Chapter 13 of Cosmogonic Marbles
Available on Amazon
           
            Everything changed.  And when I say everything … I mean EVERYTHING.  The weather became warm and sunny and in an instant became every kind of weather imaginable, some that Philip could never have imagined (even if he sat down for the rest of his life and thought solely about weather).  The environment changed, altering from a familiar Soho back street to some alien hive city made entirely of the sounds of echoing screams rendered solid, and everything possible in-between.
Philip felt himself change; for a moment he became Uncle Bulgaria, he understood the nature of the universe, he comprehended the subtleties of the thin strands of reality that held it together and by which life clung to existence, he conceived the truth that time itself was an illusion.  At the same moment he was Doris, he knew what it was to be an essence without shape or sex or species.  Also at the same instant he saw his life, not just a flash, but relived before his eyes, every moment like a year but equally like a micro-second.
“I really should have been a better brother to James,” he said.  But his words were lost in the shock of what stood before him now in place of the little snowman and Christmas tree.

            It was beyond immense, it was as if he were standing in front of a giant supernova, it didn’t just take up the skyline.  It was the sky.  It was flat like a mirror, yet under its surface ripples formed and spread outwards at impossible angles, rebounding off one another and sinking into their point of origin.
“Oh …. my …” said Philip slowly.
“Yes,” said Uncle Bulgaria, “it’s always had that effect on me, no matter how many times I’ve seen it.  Are you going to be alright Philip Philips?”
“I don’t know. I don’t think I’m really ready to be a saviour of the world.  If it’s ok with you I think I’ll give it a miss.”
As Philip began to back away, his eyes firmly fixed on the wonder of the Orphen Gate, he bumped into something behind him.  There was the sinking feeling again, joining in, for fun he presumed, with all the other shock-overload emotions.  His left hand reached behind and felt the rubbery skin of some horrid beast pulsating behind him.
“Is that you Doris?” he cried.
“YES.”
“I was afraid so.”
“You see,” said Uncle Bulgaria, “this is a matter of destiny, and sacrifice.”
“I don’t even have to ask, it’s my sacrifice isn’t it!” Philip was now actually crying.
“And your destiny,” replied Uncle Bulgaria, “but, if you choose at this point not to co-operate …”
“Doris?”
“Yes Doris. She’s not just a pretty face you know,” Uncle Bulgaria had natural sarcasm too.
“Can’t you just wipe my memory or something?” asked Philip.
“Please Mister Philips, don’t go into the realms of science-fiction, this isn’t Star Trek.  If you are not willing to fulfil the purpose the Universe has chosen you for then I’m afraid we must kill you.  To keep the balance you understand, the human race isn’t equipped to know of the existence of such things as this.  That’s why we invented mythology.”
“I see.”
“Do you see Philip?” asked the voice of Doris the monster.
“Believe me, I see. Well, that’s it then, I’m off to an alternate dimension,” began Philip.
“A twin universe,” added Uncle Bulgaria.
“To fight a set of mythical beings.”
“Real Gods and Heroes.”
“To walk through another gate to short-circuit it and end the link-way between these two worlds.”
“It’s not worth wasting the time explaining it again Philip Philips,” said Uncle Bulgaria as he pushed him into and through the mirrored surface.
“We have arranged for someone to meet you at the other side,” were the last words Philip Philips heard in his own Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment